A circular walk that begins and ends at the car park located next to The Courtyard at Welbeck.
A moderate walk taking in the Robin Hood Way through the limestone gorge at Creswell Crags and the picturesque village of Holbeck. This route includes a range of walking surfaces, uneven tracks and some sections on quiet country roads without pavements. This walk involves a short steep climb. Cafe and toilet facilities are available at The Courtyard at Welbeck and Creswell Crags, during opening hours.
Distance: 2.5 miles (4km)
Time: 1 hour
OS Map: Explorer 270, Sherwood Forest
Visitor parking is in the main car park, located next to The Courtyard at Welbeck. (GPS 53.261234,-1.179231)
The car park at Welbeck is open Monday - Saturday, 8am - 6pm. Sunday, 8am - 5pm. Closed Easter Sunday and over the Christmas period. Free parking.
1. Start your walk in the main car park, adjacent to The Courtyard at Welbeck. Head to the new woodland path at the entrance to the estate and follow the trail to the controlled crossing on the A60.
2. Carefully cross the road and follow the path through the woodland. Turn left to join the Robin Hood Way, Follow the footpath.
3. At the end of the lane, pass through the gate by the War Memorial, into the Creswell Crags car park.
A footpath runs along the left-hand side of the car park to the visitor centre.
Follow this path to the Creswell Crags Visitor Centre. (GPS 53.263763,-1.192964)
4. Follow the sign outside the visitor centre to the gorge. Follow the path by the side of the gorge to the far end. (GPS 53.261029,-1.20247)
5. At the end of the gorge, follow the footpath signs for the Robin Hood Way over the stile and to your right. Climb the steep path and continue for approximately 1 mile (1.5 km) over the field to Holbeck. (GPS 53.255188,-1.185046)
6. At Holbeck, turn left and follow the road back to the A60. Please take care here – although a quiet country lane, some vehicles do use the road at speed and part of this road does not have a footpath.
7. At the A60, turn left to the entrance to The Harley Gallery and cross over the road to re-enter the car park.
8. End - The Harley Gallery car park. (GPS 53.261234,-1.179231)
Visit The Courtyard at Welbeck
Visit us in The Courtyard at Welbeck for great food, great art and great shopping - all within a beautiful rural setting.
In The Courtyard at Welbeck, everything you find is made by real people with skill and passion - from masterpieces of historic art to fine foods.
A focus on low food miles and rich food heritage has earned Welbeck Farm Shop a reputation as one of the country’s top farm shops. Across the Courtyard sits The Harley Gallery, an award-winning art gallery where contemporary exhibitions are shown alongside displays from Welbeck’s own historic Portland Collection. Don't miss The Harley Café, serving seasonal, thoughtful food.
Stay with us
We have a selection of holiday accommodation here on the Welbeck estate that will make your visit extra special. Stay in the heart of the Welbeck Village in The Winnings or select a stay in a nearby village at Holbeck Farm Barns or Stable Cottage in Belph.